Thank you, thank you, thank you....downtown Knoxville merchants, media sponsors, and patrons!
It's not easy starting a new week-long event around a 2-minute sporting event, the Kentucky Derby. Derby Deal passes and an absolutely free Superfecta contest added to the fun of the week's family and grown-up events as well.
Our DDW committee, led by Shelia Watson and Lisa Taylor Brown, did a great job! Jimmy Buckner rallied all of the 20 various radio, print, tv, and on-line media sponsors! Over two dozen downtown Knoxville merchants, from many restaurants to clothing shoppes to hotels to a professional photographer, offered hundreds of dollars in collective savings through the past week...all for only $10.
From the family fun on Sunday to the Cornhole Tourney on Wednesday (thanks to the Knoxville Ice Bears, ORNLFCU's "Young and Free" campaign, and WUTK) to the Best Hat and Best Dressed contests on Saturday...with many a party in-between...this first annual Downtown Derby Week was a great success.
With 51 weeks of planning, preparation, and execution ahead of us, we have no doubt that next years DDW will double to triple in participation and fun in 2012! By the way, all fun had also raises awareness and interest in DDW's greatest benefactor, the Scarecrow Foundation...which will end hunger in America, as we know it, over the years to come!
Derby Deals continue all over downtown today, especially on the westside of Market Sqaure!
Left to right...Shono's, Soccer Taco, Trio's, Cocoa Moon, Black Market Square (for Derby fashion), La Costa, Sangria's, and Blue Coast Burrito....all good and all ready to make your Cinco de Mayo great!
Then, there's always Chesapeake's for something seafood in a Derby Deal, plus the French market, Sapphire, Downtown Grill & Brewery, the Crown & Goose, and Barley's Taproom & Pizzeria. All fantastic and Derby Dealing today through Saturday.
Back to Market Square and Coffee & Chocolate, Cafe' 4', Marble Slab, Latitude 35, Oodles Uncorked, Preservation Pub, and Rita's are all Derby Dealing too!
And, save $100 at John Black Photography too, by appointment.
Happy Cinco de Mayo and Downtown Derby Week!
Thanks to all 20 media partners for great efforts in print, radio, television, and even in our local hotel programming for visitors....latest effort here...
Click "blog" above to see all entries and updates in the Scarecrow blog roll!
As if Barley's half-priced large pizzas weren't enough of a Derby Deal, add the all-day, everyday this week Happy Hour at the Crown & Goose gastropub for DDW Passholders! Great Old City destinations with killer outside gathering spaces too! Derby Deals now through Saturday!
Ruth's Chris Knoxville joined the Downtown Derby Week Party too, as did Crowne Plaza Knoxville this week!
Lastly, Downtown Wine and Spirits is offering a Derby Deal this week too!
Thanks, everyone! Cheers!
Sunday brought a lot of free fun, balloon art, face painting, chalk art, and awareness about our first DDW and the mission of the Scarecrow Foundation!
Derby Deals are all over downtown. One family saved $25 on meals and beverages just yesterday, all from one $10 Pass.
Go to Pete's Coffee Shop, Cafe' 4', Coffee and Chocolate, and the French Market to start your day this week and save.
Buy cool Bijou concert tickets, while Abigail Washburn and Ben Sollee tix are still available, at the Tennessee Theatre box office and save more than $10 there buying a few concert tickets.
Book a portrait sitting with John Black Photography and save $100 instantly!
25% all lunch and dinner entree's at Latitude 35 adds up too!
Save with cool Derby Deals from Black Market Square...including a stash of sweet Derby hats!
Merchants and friends, send your Derby Deals and we will post here ASAP!
Have you seen all of the DDW posters around downtown that shout out "GET YOUR DEAL HERE"? Derby Deals are out there next week and you should buy your Pass and enjoy the $$$ savings:
- Coffee and Chocolate
- The French Market
- Pete's Coffee Shop
- Cafe' 4
- Bistro by the Bijou
- Downtown Grill and Brewery
- Downtown Wine & Spirits
- Rita's, Marble Slab Creamery
- Oodles Uncorked
- Preservation Pub
- Latitude 35
- Soccer Taco
- Cocoa Moon
- Black Market Square
- La Costa
- Blue Coast Burrito
- Barley's Tap Room & Pizzeria in the Old City
More Old City/100 Block friends to come! Even John Black Photography is offering $100 off their sitting fee with your DDW Pass!!!
Plus, AC Entertainment is offering Derby Deals on concert ticket sales...all for just $10!
All Derby Deals for the entire DDW, May 1st through 7th, are determined daily by each merchant.
Please join us in creating another fun week in downtown Knoxville....the first annual Downtown Derby Week! Proceeds go directly to the Scarecrow Foundation, a 501c3 organization, which will be helping to end hunger in America with our nation's first comprehensive, searchable "hunger solution" database for those who need food and for those who have time, resources, and/or ample food to share with those in need.
Buy a $10 pass, have fun, get Derby Week Deals from downtown merchants, and help end hunger in America by giving to the Scarecrow Foundation!
Here's how the Downtown Derby Week Pass works this May 1st through 7th:
- Consumers purchase DDW Pass and lanyard from participating downtown merchants for $10 to recieve exclusive daily offers
- Look for participating merchants, displaying DDW posters, to find your Derby Deals!
- Participating merchants will offer thier Derby Deals every day of Downtown Derby Week, which is this May 1st through 7th
Downtown Derby Week event schedule:
Derby Kick Off Party...free for everyone on Market Square, 2-5pm
- Storytelling with Bill Landry
- Chalk Art fun
- Face painting and balloon art
- Kick-off after-party at Barley's in the Old City at 8pm
"Taste of the Derby" Chef Competition, 6-8pm, at various downtown restaurants
- Chef’s choice tasting with DDW Pass
- Media and Patron sponsor party and Derby horse selection night at Latitude 35
Downtown Derby Week Singer-Songwriters Night, presented by BOH-FOH magazine, 7pm until ?
- Market Square stage, 7pm to 9pm
- Bourbon, Moonshine, and Cigar tastings, 9pm to 10pm @ Preservation Pub patio and speakeasy
- Singer-Songwriter night continues @ Preservation Pub, 10pm until ?
- Interested Singer-Songwriters should contact Nashville Mike on facebook or learn more @ www.scarecrowsongwriters.com
WUTK, Knoxville Ice Bears, and ORNL Federal Credit Union's "Young and Free" teams host the DDW Cornhole Competition, 6-8pm
- Competition will be set-up on Market Square
- Free to all ages, but purchase of a DDW pass has its advantages during this competition
- Prizes to the winning teams will be awarded and an after-party at the Downtown Grill and Brewery is open to all competitors
- Registering your team @ 621-5354, in advance of May 1st, would be appreciated.
Downtown Derby Week... Cinco De Mayo Creative Drink Contest, presented by BLANK News, 6-9pm
- West-side of Market Square restaurants offer up their most creative Derby Drink
- Patrons wearing thier DDW pass and lanyard will recieve exclusive food and drink specials
The Kentucky Oaks Party, 7-9pm, at Sapphire
- Exclusive Party Media and Patron sponsors
- First Friday all over downtown Knoxville....get here and park early!
Downtown Derby Day, 4pm until ?, with "hunger solution" agencies on Market Square, immediately following the first Farmers Market of 2011
- 4:30pm Derby Hat and Best Dressed Competition – register on-site
- 5:00pm DDW Superfecta (free Derby game with Grand Prizes awarded to closest winners) deadline. Entries to be submitted at the DDW info tent.
- 5:45pm Find your place to watch the Kentucky Derby
- 7:00pm Grand Prize winners will be determined and notified
- Downtown Derby Week after-parties all over downtown... Patrons after-party @ Crown & Goose in the Old City (get there early)